Friday, October 5, 2012



Day 5: Taming the Tech Monster

I know this is suppose to be 31 Days on Technology in the Home, but what's the old saying, 'to much of a good thing is a bad thing?' Seriously though, we try to limit the time our boys, and yes ourselves, spend on the electronics. I don't know about you, but I love my little munchkins. I want to spend time with them, quality and quantity! Not to mention, I want them to have healthy habits. I desire for them to have strong relationships, to spend more time with people rather than the t.v.

Stepping off soap box now. There are ways, fun ways, to help tame that Tech Monster. One thing that we do is celebrate Screen Free week.  This is April 30th through May 6th. We put a sign on the t.v., computer, etc. that said SCREEN FREE WEEK! We played games, went outside, did crafts and pretty much did just a lot of fun things together.

We also have a special currency in our home. Emoney! I keep track of all the chores done, good attitudes displayed, extra chores completed, loving attitudes showed toward siblings...you get the picture. Than at the end of the day, Emoney is rewarded to each child according to the "bucks" earned that day. They have the choice to use all of their Emoney in one day (within an already allotted time) or saving it for another day. This has worked well for us and has helped us keep their time under wraps. The one thing that proved to be a problem was keeping track of all of it. So, I found this solution:

Media Minutes Free printable! I love the way this lady keeps the Tech Monster under control in her house! And for all you free printable loving people out there, here's another one. Screentime Chart

What about you? Do you have any helpful hints for taming the Tech Monster? I would love to hear some ideas on this!

No comments: